Engaging in Our Mission through Research and Advocacy
|Board Meeting Date||Meeting Duration (min)||Time Spent on Student Success (min)|
- Out of the total meeting time of the 2016 board (2529 minutes), student success was covered for 366 minutes. That’s only 14% of the time the board met.
- There were only 2 board workshops for the entire year that were dedicated to topics related to student outcomes.
A school board can’t help our students succeed if they barely address the issue.
- Required renaming of schools (5 to 4 vote)
- New magnet programs in traditionally underserved areas (5 to 4 vote)
- Conflict of interest rules that served to decrease the level of transparency in the allocation of resources (5 to 4 vote)
Board members were not able to unify behind student-centered, cost-effective and transparent policies to address these pressing issues. Sadly, this division demonstrates a lack of leadership for our community, our schools, and particularly for our kids.
Why Advocacy Matters
That’s why we formed HoustonGPS. We will emphasize these leadership qualities and hold school board leaders to the oath they pledge upon winning an election to be honest and to work hard for the children of this city.
Now is the time to ensure strong leadership at the board with a new superintendent and a focus on student success. We can do this together.
Together, we can educate the public, make our school boards great and our students successful.